NCAA Championship First Round
vs. No. 3 St. Thomas (Minn.) (10-0, 8-0 MIAC)
O'Shaughnessy Stadium (5,000) | St. Paul, Minn.
Time: Saturday, Nov. 21 – 12:00 p.m. CT
Location: St. Paul, Minn. (O'Shaughnessy Stadium/5,000)
Radio: LeoFM will be broadcasting the game live. Shane Rodrigues and Joseph Orozco will be on the call.
Live Stream: www.tommiesports.com
Live Stats: www.tommiesports.com
Tickets: Adults - $8; Students - $4 (Windows open at 11 a.m.)
Getting Airtime: ABC7 Eyewitness News will air a feature story on the football team at about 5:45 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 20.
La Verne Quick Hits
• La Verne is making its second NCAA Championship appearance, its first since 1994; the Leopards traveled to Minnesota in 1994 as well, taking on St. John's
• La Verne boasts one of the most potent rushing attacks in the country, averaging 262.4 yards per game which is good for 17th in the nation; the Leopards are averaging 5.88 yards per carry
• Running back Travis Sparks-Jackson is ranked 15th in the nation in total rushing yards (1,366), eighth in rushing touchdowns (18), seventh in rushing yards per game (151.8) and 18th in yards per carry (6.80); he became La Verne's all-time rushing champion when he ran for 159 yards in a 38-21 win vs. Cal Lutheran and currently sits at 2,891 career yards
• La Verne's had the fourth-most defensive touchdowns in Division III with four
• The Leopards are taking care of the ball and are getting in good field positions; La Verne lost only 10 turnovers this season (12th fewest in the nation), only had five passes intercepted (15th fewest) and is second in Division III in punt return with 22.11 yards per return.
St. Thomas (Minn.) Quick Hits
• St. Thomas is making its seventh NCAA Championship appearance and its sixth in the last seven years under current head coach Glenn Caruso
• St. Thomas finished the regular season with the most points scored per game (56.4) in Division III; the Tommies are also ranked third in total offense (564.8) and third in total defense (200.4)
• Running back Jordan Roberts has the most rushing touchdowns in the nation with 24