PASADENA — The University of La Verne tennis team used a 2-1 doubles advantage to edge Caltech, 5-4, on Saturday at the Caltech tennis courts.
The Leopards finish the regular season 5-13 overall and 3-4 in SCIAC play. Whittier's forfeit on on April 16 will count as a win for conference-only purposes and the Leopards will travel to Cal Lutheran on May 6 for the first round of the 2016 SCIAC Postseason Tournament.
Savanah Goode pulled out a dramatic three-set win over Julia Reisler at No. 2 singles match to clinch the win for La Verne. Reisler took the first set, 6-4, but Goode came back with a quick 6-1 win in the second set and went on to win the third set, 6-4, to seal the win for La Verne.
The teams split the first two doubles matchups but Goode and Shenelle Trujillo pulled out an 8-6 win over Kana Moriyama and Erin Wang to give the Leopards a 2-1 lead heading into singles play.
Bridget Etchegaray made a quick work of Vinci Chen at No. 1, 6-1, 6-0, and Savannah Fisher dispatched Cece Andrews, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 6. The Beavers claimed No. 3-5 singles flights but they weren't nearly enough.
Regardless of the outcome at Thousand Oaks on Friday, the Leopards will complete the postseason tournament at Pomona-Pitzer on May 7-8.
- Etchegaray/Chinn (ULV) def. Chen/Chen (CIT), 8-4
- Goode/Trujillo (ULV) def. Moriyama/Wang (CIT), 8-6
- Andrews/Reisler (CIT) def. Madewell/Martinez (ULV), 8-4
- Bridget Etchegaray (ULV) def. Vinci Chen (CIT), 6-1, 6-0\
- Savanah Goode (ULV) def. Julia Reisler (CIT), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Kana Moriyama (CIT) def. Janae Chinn (ULV), 6-4, 6-0
- Sophia Chen (CIT) def. Shenelle Trujillo (ULV), 6-2, 7-5
- Erin Wang (CIT) def. Areli Martinez (ULV), 6-3, 6-2
- Savannah Fisher (ULV) def. Cece Andrews (CIT), 6-3, 6-1