CLAREMONT, Calif. — The No. 23 University of La Verne tennis team got off to good starts in individual matchups against No. 19 Mary Washington but could not sustain the momentum in a 9-0 loss to the Eagles on Wednesday afternoon at the Claremont Club.
The big momentum shift came early. Bridget Etchegaray and Savanah Goode held a 6-2 edge at No. 1 doubles for La Verne but Shelby Harris and Kait Brogan stormed back to win the match, 9-7, to complete a doubles sweep for Mary Washington. Caroline Mosberg and Sara Fioretti beat Savannah Fisher and Madison Madewell, 8-3, at No. 3 doubles and Mackenzie Smith and Taylor Diffley defeated Shenelle Trujillo and Janae Chinn, 8-3, at No. 2.
The Leopards were competitive at the top of the singles ladder as Nos. 1-3 singles all went three sets. After dropping the first set relatively quickly, Etchegaray bounced back to win the second set against Brogan but ultimately lost, 6-1, 2-6, 10-3. Goode tooke the first set against Mosberg at No. 2 but fell, 2-6, 6-3, 11-9. Chinn also claimed the first set at No. 3 against Chrissy Gaul but dropped the last to sets and lost, 2-6, 6-1, 10-8.
The Eagles took Nos. 4-6 in straight sets.
The Leopards are back in action tomorrow against Arizona Christian at the Claremont Club.
- Harris/Brogan (UMW) def. Etchegaray/Goode (ULV), 9-7
- Smith/Diffley (UMW) def. Trujillo/Chinn (ULV), 8-3
- Mosberg/Fioretti (UMW) def. Fisher/Madwell (ULV), 8-3
- Kait Brogan (UMW) def. Bridget Etchegaray (ULV), 6-1, 2-6, 10-3
- Caroline Mosberg (UMW) def. Savanah Goode (ULV), 3-6, 6-3, 11-9
- Chrissy Gaul (UMW) def. Janae Chinn (ULV), 2-6, 6-1, 10-8
- Taylor Diffley (UMW) def. Shenelle Trujillo (ULV), 6-2, 6-3
- Mackenzie Smith (UMW) def. Areli Martinez (ULV), 6-4, 6-2
- Danielle Mirabella (UMW) def. Madison Madewell (ULV), 6-1, 6-1