CLAREMONT – Andrea Madrigal won at both singles and doubles, but it wasn't enough as the No. 16 University of La Verne tennis team lost its first SCIAC match of the season, 6-3, to No. 6 Pomona-Pitzer on Friday afternoon at the Pauley Tennis Complex.
After falling in a 2-1 hole after doubles and a quick Pomana-Pitzer singles win at the No. 4 spot, Madrigal beat Samantha Chao, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 1 and Jeanette Losaria earned a 6-4, 6-0 decision over Arthi Padmanabhan over to tie the match at 3-3.
But Pomona-Pitzer's Claire Wiley broke the tie at No. 6 and Rosemary Pelch clinched the match for the Sagehens with a close 7-5, 7-5 win at No. 5.
Madrigal and Bridget Etchegaray provided La Verne's lone doubles point at No. 2, defeating Padmanabhan and Mae Coyiuto, 8-4, but the Sagehens won the other two lines, winning 8-2 at Nos. 1 and 3.
With the loss, La Verne drops to 12-3 overall and 4-1 in SCIAC play. The Leopards will have to shake off the loss quickly as they travel to Anaheim to take on the No. 30 Chapman tomorrow at 2 p.m.
- Chao/Yen (PP) def. Matsuda/Losaria (ULV) 8-2
- Madrigal/Etchegaray (ULV) def. Padmanabhan/Coyiuto (PP) 8-4
- Pelch/Gordon (PP) def. Moncrief/Soucy 8-2
- Andrea Madrigal (ULV) def. Samantha Chao (PP) 6-3, 6-1
- Mae Coyiuto (PP) def. Laina Matsuda (ULV) 6-4, 6-7(5), 10-6
- Jeanette Losaria (ULV) def. Arthi Padmanabhan (PP) 6-4, 6-0
- Maddie Gordon (PP) def. Allison Moncrief (ULV) 6-0, 6-3
- Rosemary Pelch (PP) def. Bridget Etchegaray (ULV) 7-5, 7-5
- Claire Wiley (PP) def. Shenelle Trujillo (ULV) 6-4, 6-2