ANAHEIM, Calif. – The No. 16 University of La Verne tennis team trailed 2-1 after doubles, but took four singles matches to beat No. 30 Chapman, 5-4, at the Anaheim Hills Racquet Club on Saturday afternoon.
With the win, La Verne improves to 13-3 overall and 5-1 in SCIAC play. Chapman falls to 11-7 and 4-4.
Laina Matsuda came back from a one-set deficit in No. 2 singles to defeat Rachel Fox, 2-6, 7-6(5), 6-0, in the only three-setter of the day to clinch the match for La Verne.
Bridget Etchegaray and Andrea Madrigal both won in doubles and singles. The duo claimed an 8-2 win over Madeline Saunders and Madison Mathis at the No. 2 spot to give La Verne its only point in the doubles portion.
Etchegaray beat Anna Nelson, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 5 and Madrigal earned a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Andrea Hammer at No. 1.
Allison Moncrief was 6-2, 6-3 winner at No. 4.
La Verne returns to action on Friday when it hosts Occidental at the Claremont Club at 2 p.m.
- Hammer/Fox (CU) def. Matsuda/Losaria (ULV) 8-4
- Etchegaray/Madrigal (ULV) def. Saunders/Mathis (CU) 8-2
- Duong/Klebenow (CU) def. Trujillo/Moncrief (ULV) 8-2
- Andrea Madrigal (ULV) def. Andrea Hammer (CU) 7-5, 6-2
- Laina Matsuda (ULV) def. Rachel Fox (CU) 2-6, 7-6(5), 6-0
- Sophia Duong (CU) def. Jeanette Losaria (ULV) 6-3, 6-4
- Allison Moncrief (ULV) def. Madeline Saunders (CU) 6-2, 6-3
- Bridget Etchegaray (ULV) def. Anna Nelson (CU) 6-1, 6-1
- Kelley Klebenow (CU) def. Shenelle Trujillo (ULV) 6-2, 6-1