CLAREMONT – After losing its first match of the season earlier in the week, the University of La Verne tennis team rebounded with a resounding victory over Texas-Tyler on Friday afternoon at the Claremont Club.
Bridget Etchegaray clinched the match at the No. 5 spot, beating Janae Warren, 6-0, 6-2.
Texas-Tyler's lone point came in a tough No. 6 singles match. La Verne's Lauren Torres battled Nicole Musngi to the afternoon's only three-setter, but fell just short, 6-2, 6-7(1), 1-0(8).
La Verne took all three doubles matches. Losaria and Matsuda got the No. 1 doubles win over Amy Friesenhahn and Tory Musngi, 8-5. Etchegaray and Madrigal got the No. 2 win while Moncrief and Torres earned an 8-5 win in No. 3 doubles.
The Leopards return to action on March 18 when they host No. 18 Tufts at the Claremont Club.
- Losaria/Matsuda (ULV) def. Friesenhahn/T. Musngi (UTT) 8-5
- Etchegaray/Madrigal (ULV) def. Blundell/Payne (UTT) 8-6
- Moncrief/Torres (ULV) def. Albro/N. Musngi (UTT) 8-5
- Andrea Madrigal (ULV) def. Jessica Blundell (UTT) 6-1, 6-0
- Jeanette Losaria (ULV) def. Amy Friesenhahn (UTT) 6-0, 6-4
- Laina Matsuda (ULV) def. Jennifer Payne (UTT) 6-4, 6-3
- Allison Moncrief (ULV) def. Haley Albro (UTT) 6-4, 6-2
- Bridget Etchegaray (ULV) def. Janae Warren (UTT) 6-0, 6-2
- Nicole Musngi (UTT) def. Lauren Torres (ULV) 6-2, 6-7(1), 1-0(8)