CLAREMONT – The University of La Verne tennis team beat No. 24 Brandeis on Thursday at the Claremont Club. It's the third nationally ranked team La Verne has beaten in four games to start the season.
The doubles lineup got the Leopards a 2-1 lead and Laina Matsuda beat Simone Vandroff 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 3 singles match to clinch the win for La Verne.
Brandeis won the No. 2 and No. 4 singles over Losaria and Moncrief, respectively, but the rest of the La Verne singles lineup won with relative ease as the Leopards took four matches. Andrea Madrigal defeated Cooke in the No. 1 singles match 6-2, 6-2, Etchegaray beat Emily Eska in the fifth spot 6-4, 6-1 and Shenelle Truijillo knocked off Alicia Katz in the No. 6 singles 6-3, 7-5.
La Verne begins its conference play on Friday at 2 p.m. when they host Cal Lutheran at the Claremont Club.
- Matsuda/Losaria (ULV) def. Cooke/Vandross (Brandeis) 8-3
- Moncrief/Etchegaray (ULV) def. Bernstein/Lazar (Brandeis) 8-6
- Bergstein/Biswas (Brandeis) def. Madrigal/Soucy (ULV) 8-3
- Andrea Madrigal (ULV) def. Carley Cook (Brandeis) 6-2, 6-2
- Allyson Bernstein (Brandeis) def. Jeannette Losaria (ULV) 6-4, 6-2
- Laina Matsuda (ULV) def. Simone Vandroff (Brandeis) 6-2, 6-2
- Roberta Bergstein (Brandeis) def. Allison Moncrief (ULV) 6-0, 6-1
- Bridget Etchegaray (ULV) def. Emily Eska (Brandeis) 6-4, 6-1
- Shenelle Trujillo (ULV) def. Alicia Katz (Brandeis) 6-3, 7-5