WALLA WALLA, Wash. – With wins over No. 16 Whitman and Lewis & Clark over the weekend, the University of La Verne tennis team moved to 3-0 in the season and 2-0 against higher-ranked teams in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings.
No. 28 La Verne 5, No. 16 Whitman 4 (Feb. 16)
In what was the toughest matchup of the season so far, the La Verne women pulled out a 5-4 win on the strength of their singles performance.
Jeanette Losaria dropped the first set in the No. 2 singles match against Morgan Lawless, but bounced back with a tough 4-6, 6-0, 7-5 win to clinch the second match in as many days for the Leopards.
"We call her J-Money for a reason," La Verne head coach Yolanda Duron said. "Jeanette was our clincher this weekend and she showed a lot of poise when the match was not in her favor.
"She bounced back and found a way to win the match."
Allison Moncrief also battled to a 3-set win over Katrina Allick, 7-5, 3-6, 7-5.
Although the Leopards dropped two doubles matches, No. 1 doubles pair Matsuda/Losaria beat Lawless/Lawless 8-4 to give La Verne a chance. The Lawless sisters are ranked No. 3 in the West as a pair.
"This was a big win not only because Whitman is ranked nationally, but a lot of their players ranked similarly or above us in the West region," Duron added.
- Matsuda/Losaria (ULV) def. Lawless/Lawless (Whitman) 8-4
- Bell/Allick (Whitman) def. Moncrief/Etchegaray (ULV) 8-3
- Dobrin/Webster (Whitman) def. Madrigal/Soucy (ULV) 8-3
- Andrea Madrigal (ULV) def. Courtney Lawless (Whitman) 6-1, 6-4
- Jeannette Losaria (ULV) def. Morgan Lawless (Whitman) 4-6, 6-0, 7-5
- Laina Matsuda (ULV) def. Jenna Dobrin (Whitman) 7-5, 7-5
- Allison Moncrief (ULV) def. Katrina Allick (Whitman) 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
- Erin Bell (Whitman) def. Bridget Etchegaray (ULV) 6-4, 6-0
- Maddy Webster (Whitman) def. Shenelle Trujillo (ULV) 6-3, 6-2
La Verne 9, Lewis & Clark 0 (Feb. 15)
La Verne did not drop a single set as it beat West Region No. 8 Lewis & Clark in a convincing fashion, 9-0, on Saturday.
Losaria clinched the match for the Leopards with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Olivia Sweetman at No. 2 singles.
Madrigal defeated Claudia Lew 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 1 singles match and Etchegaray also notched an impressive 6-0, 6-0 win in the No. 5 singles match against Esa Grigsby.
La Verne was never really threatened. Matsuda won 6-2, 6-2 against Makena McCluskey, Moncrief defeated Allison Schneider 6-3, 6-1 and four games was the most any Leopard dropped in the singles portion.
Soucy made her singles debut this season and defeated Paloma Vizcaino 6-0, 6-2.
- Matsuda/Losaria (ULV) def. Lew/Sweetman (L&C) 8-0
- Moncrief/Etchegaray (ULV) def. Lowe/McCluskey (L&C) 8-2
- Madrigal/Soucy (ULV) def. Schneider/Grigsby (L&C) 8-0
- Andrea Madrigal (ULV) def. Claudia Lew (L&C) 6-2, 6-2
- Jeannette Losaria (ULV) def. Olivia Sweetman (L&C) 6-0, 6-4
- Laina Matsuda (ULV) def. Makena McCluskey (L&C) 6-2, 6-2
- Allison Moncrief (ULV) def. Allison Schneider (L&C) 6-3, 6-1
- Bridget Etchegaray (ULV) def. Esa Grisgby (L&C) 6-0, 6-0
- Megan Soucy (ULV) def. Paloma Vizcaino (L&C) 6-0, 6-2